Our offices are currently located in the Ernest L. Hinton house in the Clayton Downtown Historic District.
Ernest Linwood Hinton was born in March 1864, about 5 miles east of Clayton, NC. He began his career as a dry goods salesman but went on to serve as president of the Clayton Drug Company, the Liberty Cotton Mill, and the Clayton Oil Mill. He was also an officer on the boards of Johnston County Banking Co., J.G. Barbour & Sons, and other companies and had extensive holdings in “high class farming lands.” E.L. Hinton was mayor of Clayton from 1884 to 1892, when he became Postmaster. He was again elected mayor in 1897 and served until 1907. In June of 1899, the Clayton News reported that “Mr. E.L. Hinton, our popular mayor, will begin soon the erection of a modern residence on Main Street.” The house was completed in 1900 and stands today as an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture, with decorated gables and a wrap-around porch with detailed mill work. It is a contributing feature of the downtown historic district.